Global Citizens Assignment – Draft
Late submissions are not allowed, so please turn in your draft BEFORE the due date to be sure your draft will be reviewed.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Global Music and Jazz
This assignment is a research and writing assignment that asks you to find a Jazz artist who is combining an International music style with Jazz music to create/explore a new Jazz sound.
As you have discovered in your text readings and other assignments in this course, Jazz music developed in America from the combining of different musical influences, which came about as a result of the numerous International cultures that played a part in the development of the country. As the music grew, Jazz continued to incorporate musical elements from other styles of music, including world music influences. Examples include Dizzy Gillespie, who collaborated with Cuban congero Chano Pozo to explore new sounds in Jazz. In the 1960’s the Brazilian music style of Bossa Nova influenced artists like Stan Getz, and became a popular new sound in Jazz. The combining of International music styles and Jazz in this way is continuing today, creating interesting new Jazz sounds. Many international musical influences can be heard in modern Jazz music.
Research and find an artist or group that is combining an international music with jazz to create a new Jazz sound. Limit your research to music from the 21st Century (since the year 2000.) Pick a culture or country whose music you would be interested in learning about and see if you can find an artist or group who is combining that music with Jazz music to create a new Jazz sound. BE SURE YOU FIND AN ARTIST OR GROUP THAT IS COMBINING AN INTERNATIONAL MUSIC AND JAZZ, TO CREATE A NEW JAZZ SOUND. There are a number of examples of non-jazz artists using international music in their folk music, rock music, hip hop etc.., so be sure your choice of artist/group is a JAZZ artist. The artist can be an American that is using International music as an influence or it can be an artist who is from another country that is an accomplished Jazz artist who is exploring combining music from his/her culture with Jazz. Be SURE the artist is a Jazz artist and the music you write about is a combination of Jazz and an International music style.
Example: an online search for “Traditional Japanese music and Jazz” produced a large number of entries, and some were useful in suggesting some artists that are combining the 2 styles of music to create a new Jazz based music.
When conducting online searches, use quotation marks around the important key words in the search…”Japanese Folk Music” and “Jazz” for instance.
The USF Library has created a Course Guide for this class with useful information on how to conduct online searches and what materials are available in the USF Library that could be useful to this assignment.
Once you find an artist you are interested in, listen to the musical examples and read about the artist and their concepts for combining Jazz and the International music they specialize in.
- Write a 1000-1500 word paper which describes the artist/group and their music. The paper should be well written, following general rules and formatting for a Research Paper (see suggested format below). Citations should be in MLA or APA format. You can get help and information about writing a Research Paper from the USF Writing Center.
- Use your research to write a description of the artist/groups concepts and ideas for combining the international music with Jazz. It is important that find descriptions of the concepts and ideas from the artist and/or reputable experts reviewing the project. You need to do significant research to be able to write about the ways the artist or group is combining the international music elements with Jazz elements to create the new music.
- Include your own description of what you hear in the music. Describe the ways the music moves you.
- Include a description of the artist/groups, what they are known for and other relevant projects/recordings they have produced. Include a selected discography.
- Include information about the recordings you write about:
- Date released
- Record label
- Musicians on the recording
- How readers can find this music (purchase, listen, etc)
You will be graded on:
- The inclusion of all of the issues listed above in your paper.
- Evidence of research into the artist and music. References to your other research should be included.
- Your description of the music.
- How the combination of the particular Global music and Jazz presented by the artist/group works – what elements of each style of music are heard
- How the music impacts you as a listener – what moves you:
- pick some specific moments in the performance that you can identify, describe and comment on the way the music moves you.
- How well written and readable the paper is.
- This is an IMPORTANT part of the Draft-Final paper process, to create a Final Paper that is well written and interesting to the reader.
Note: Reference materials (discography and citation lists) are not part of the word count
Opening Paragraph (Thesis)
– describes the content of the paper and the points to be made.
– discuss each topic presented in the Opening Paragraph (Thesis)
– a selective listing of the Artist/Group’s important recordings that relate to the paper. Look up “discography” so you know what it is!
– citations need to be in MLA or APA format
Use of copied materials:
This assignment uses the Turnitin tool, which assesses the materials in the paper and issues a Similarity Report of any materials that are copied from existing sources. You need to be sure that any copied materials are properly cited, in quotations, etc.. You have 3 submissions for the Draft and Final paper to assure that you have viewed the Similarity Report and rewritten your paper to make sure there are no copied materials that are not properly cited in your final submissions. The university takes plagiarism very seriously (see syllabus), so be SURE your paper does not include copied materials that are not cited or quoted in your writing.
Note: Including LARGE amounts of quoted materials in the body of your paper (to build up word count) will not be viewed favorably in the grading of the paper. This writing assignment is designed for you to write about music, using your own words and descriptions. You need to include cited information about the artist/group and recordings, but the body of the paper that includes your descriptions of the music and concepts should be your own words, organized for this paper, not copied descriptions from research sources. That being said, important quotes from the artist/group or reviews that help make your points are encouraged. How and where you place these quotes in your paper can be very effective in the creation of an interesting and well written paper.
Please follow all the requirements and the instructions.