Follow the instructions:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
WORDS & LANGUAGE
This activity demonstrates not only the connection between language and culture, but also the differences between cant, jargon, argot, and slang. You should gain an understanding of what each term means and how it is or is not specific to a certain cultural group. Write your definitions for the words listed below and post them. Try to do all of them- some are really hard. Make use of Google and other online research methods. The first two are answered for you.
Then answer these questions:
• Why are these words generated and used by a particular co-culture? (any culture in the U.S. that is within our national culture). How do they function for a co-culture? Can you think of other words that these co-cultures use?
• What experiences have you had where you did not understand the English that was being spoken because of the use of cant, jargon, argot, or slang?
• What other co-cultures have a distinct cant/dialect, jargon/branding, or argot? What are some examples?
Cant/Dialect, Jargon/Branding, Argot, and Slang
Term Definition Type Co-culture
1. hotty someone attractive slang no one in particular
2. demo musical release before a CD argot musicians
4. first chair
6. off case
8. Bottom Woman
12. Mary Jane
18. John Waynes
22. flat backer
24. bug juice
28. high ‘n tight
29. GL ticket
38. chicken coop
40. seat covers
41. Tijuana taxi
42. one L’s